The Garden Route SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) is a registered Non-Profit Organisation (NPO 003-629). George and Mossel Bay branches have joined forces to combat cruelty and to promote the welfare of all animals.
Even though the SPCA is an NPO, they offer a variety of services to raise funds. However this is not enough, thus they have to rely on the financial support of concerned individuals and corporates in order to sustain the operational needs.
Services offered by Garden Route SPCA:
- Boarding Kennels – Rest assure that your pets are safe while you are away. The vet is available 24/7 for any emergency. Dogs are exercised daily.
- Education initiatives – Empowering people with the knowledge of responsible pet care. Covering topics such as mange, worms, common illnesses, and sterilisations.
- Feral Cats – These cats deserve care-taking just as much as domesticated cats. The SPCA endorses Trap-Neuter-Return drives to help improve the health and quality of life for these cats.
- Inspectorate Division – The SPCA inspectors are certified to a high standard and hold specific powers under South African law to act on behalf of an abused animal. Furthermore, having the power to prosecute perpetrators of serious violence against animals.
- Township Outreach – One of the most important functions of the SPCA is to proactively work in all areas, searching for animal issues.
- Sterilization Drives – It is unbelievable how many kittens and puppies are born yearly. Thus, your donations enable the SPCA team to sterilize cats and dogs before they start to breed. Helping to prevent the growing number of unwanted animals.
- Lost and Found Animals – As part of the service to the community, the SPCA runs pounds on behalf of the George and Mossel Bay Municipalities. All stray animals are kept in the pound for 7 days. In the case that they are not claimed within this period, they become available for adoption by a new family. 1 in 3 pets will get lost. Without an ID, 90% will not return home. Why not microchip your pet at your nearest SPCA Branch?
- Primary Health Care – The SPCA relies on contributions from loyal donors and corporate partners to subsidize the veterinary care for pets of poorer owners. It is sad to see an increase in the number of people qualifying for special SPCA rates.
How can we as a community help the Garden Route SPCA?
There are many ways you can make a difference, from donating Cash, Food, Blankets, and/or gifts. You are also welcome to take a dog for a walk or cuddle with a cat. Participate in corporate challenge events, or Sponsor an Expense.
If you’re not sure how you can help, drop us a mail and tell us what your skills are and how much time you have on your hands.
Become a Member of the SPCA.
By becoming a member, you support:
- EDUCATION: to inspire compassionate care of animals by working with children and adults in impoverished communities along the vast Garden Route area.
- STERILIZATION: to help pay for sterilization of pets whose owners cannot afford private veterinary fees.
- MEDICAL CARE: to help pay for the treatment of injured and diseased animals whose illness or injuries would probably not be treated without our help.
As a member you will receive:
- discounts of R3 per day at our boarding kennels and cattery
- 10% off almost everything at our George and Mossel Bay Charity Shops
Cards are available from the SPCA branches in George and Mossel Bay, as well as the Charity Shops in the York Street Mall Arcade (100 York Street), George.
Visit the Garden Route SPCA in George or Mossel Bay and become involved today:
Ossie Urban Road, Tamsui Industria, George, 6529
Office Number: 044 878 1990
George Emergency Number: 082 378 7384
18 Bill Jeffery St, Boplaas, Mossel Bay, 6506
Office Number: 044 693 0824
Mossel Bay Emergency Number: 072 287 1761